Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Wanderlust of Gumballhead....

This blog is about two things I really love: travel and beer. It is told through the eyes of our little "travel buddy," Gumballhead the Cat. Now, mind you - he is not my own creation, conceptually. I actually found him on a beer label (one of my favorite beers - by Three Floyds, is called Gumballhead - a delightfully hoppy wheat beer - great in the summer). But he's really a bad-ass cartoon cat, created by Rob Syers and Mark Fischert. He is always in trouble. Maybe he represents the repressed "me;" the wildly rebellious kid who grew up, got married, had kids, went back to school, and became a responsible adult (at least I'm working on that).


My husband Jeff and I love to travel, and we really love beer - especially microbrewed beers. We've gotten in the habit of visiting breweries wherever we go - and I recently decided it would be fun to take some sort of a little "travel buddy" to photograph at the various breweries. Because of his attitude (which is totally not me, remember), and because he has a face that is easily reproduced, and because I love hoppy beers, I decided to make a Gumballhead doll for this purpose (I mean, how many people have little travel gnomes, right???).


In case you are wondering, he is made of felt, stuffed with cotton with an embroidered face. He's about 8" tall and has a tail. And yes, he has a cigarette dangling from his cute little (excuse me..... I mean BAD little) cat lips.


Check back for photos of Gumballhead's world travels and some information about the places he has been!!! So far, he has visited breweries and excellent beer establishments in Indiana, France, Belgium, and Germany!

2 comments:

Khraila said...

Can you make me one too?!

Unknown said...

you finally made one! Found old gumballhead small comic w/ that ad in back. SO back in 2000 or so you sold me "war on ugly people" and "Rep. Guard" paints. Still up. Anymore you can part w/ or any new ones?? Perhaps youre slack like me...cant hurt to ask. Will PGH wmhuntley AT yahoo